Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The upside of racism

There is the stereotype that Asians are awkward immigrants who can barely speak English or form sentences. I sometimes overcompensate for this stereotype by abrasively overenunciating my words with the perfect American Yankee accent.

However, latent in this stereotype is a power that can be tapped into when appropriate. One such appropriate situation is the single scene.

Sometimes I don't feel like dealing with the effort of formulating a tactful yet firm response to a lewd or unattractive guy hitting on me, so instead, I cover my mouth with my hand, giggle idiotically, and say "No English speaky." Even when I say "No English speaky" with my normal American accent, they still believe it and walk away.

I suppose I am in a sense perpetuating the pervasive stereotype of the Immigrant Asian. But the sheer simplicity of this method, the 100% effectiveness, is nearly impossible to resist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to remember to try this when I want to avoid talking to a stranger. :)

 
Site Meter