Saturday, January 28, 2006

Catty behavior

Last night, I went to someone's house with a friend to pick up a movie. On the couch was a little mini-cat-couch upon which two plump furry cats snuggled against each other. I couldn't resist. My friend walked up to them and petted them with ease (she is friends with the owner). I walked up to one, whom I will call The Mean One, allowed her to sniff my hand at length, and attempted to pet her head. TMO immediately jerked her head back and just stared at my hand hovering uselessly over her head. I began petting the other cat, whom I will call The Nice One, who looked at my hand slightly alarmed. I let her sniff my hand, and she allowed me to pet her. Then I attempted to pet TMO's back, making no sudden movements, and cooing, at which point it jerked its head towards my hand, mouth agape.

"Uh, TMO almost tried to bite me."

My friend laughed. "Yeah she hates everyone."

We left the apartment, and I mused over TMO's behavior. Most animals like me, as I like to think I exude a gentle kind demeanor (ha). I suppose I felt slightly hurt that TMO didn't like me. I assumed that if you allowed a cat or dog to sniff your hand, that was sort of the "OK" to pet it unless you were evil or something. Then I thought about it more. Suppose some random stranger came up to me, did the equivalent of letting me sniff his hand (i.e. say "Hi, I'm Stranger, nice to meet you"), and then started rubbing my back or head. I suppose I wouldn't like that very much, in fact not at all, even if he was the gentlest, kindest man ever (well unless he was Johnny Depp or equivalent, but moving on...).

So I couldn't blame TMO for being so pissy with me. Either I just need to grow on her, or...she just don't like me.

No comments:

 
Site Meter