Thursday, January 12, 2006

Eh.

I walked into a 7-11 and saw, for the first time this year, pink and red heart shaped candy boxes. It's hard to believe that Valentine's Day is only a month away. Now I won't get all sad nor will I indulge in one of my rants about how arbitrary and silly and meaningless the so-called holiday is -- that would be cliche. My "rebelling" against the holiday took place mostly in high school. I remember a bunch of us angst-laden teenagers decided to wear all black on the special occasion, mocking the girls who wore pink sweaters or red turtlenecks.

Yeah, we were so original.

Even on occasions when I had a boyfriend, the holiday celebrations seemed kind of forced. We'd dress up, buy sweets for each other, and make the effort to be lovey-dovey. Sitting across from each other in a dimly lit restaurant drinking pink champaigne was nice and all, but somehow it seemed a bit...contrived.

I guess over the years I've learned to accept it as sort of a day people randomly choose to celebrate. I've been on both ends of the holiday -- attached and single -- and all in all, it's always been sort of..."eh." Not too misery-inducing nor love-inspiring. Just "eh."

No comments:

 
Site Meter