Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Checklist debunked

I admit that I was one of those simple-minded girls who had a hazy checklist of requisite qualities in a man. I believed that if I were to meet a guy who possessed all of these qualities, I would fall in love with him and happiness would ensue.

#4 seems to possess, from what I can tell thus far, a lot of these checklist qualities. He is charming, he is kind, he's a great conversationalist, he's good looking, he works out regularly, he has an Ivy-League caliber undergraduate and graduate education, he has a good job, he dresses well, and he wants to have children. What is wrong with this picture? Why don't I feel that extra bada bing / zsa zsa zou that one is supposed to get when one is supposed to fall for someone?

I can't figure it out. During our landmark six hour date this weekend, I asked myself throughout the night, "Could I kiss him? Would I let him kiss me? If I don't know, is that an answer in itself? Isn't attraction supposed to be obvious rather than a question?" Perhaps his applying chapstick near the end of the evening threw me off. The night ended with a very passionate ... hug.

I surmise that romantic chemistry can't be forced, let alone predicted by a superficial checklist. It either happens or it doesn't. My one friend suggested that maybe something about #4 subconsciously turns me off. I just don't know it yet. At any rate, it appears my whole checklist theory has been effectively debunked.

1 comment:

Cat said...

Ah, welcome to the club, girl :) After royally ditching The Boy he came back with a super long romantic email begging for forgiveness. Sweet but still doesn't light my fire. Pity.

 
Site Meter