Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What's in a name?

From time to time, I think of names I'd like to name my kids. No I'm not pregnant, it's just one of those things I muse over when I'm standing idly in the supermarket checkout line or waiting for the train to come.

I know I'd like to have 1 boy and 1 girl. I nonetheless have picked out several names for each sex. For some reason, the old school biblical names strike a chord with me. I know I will name at least one son Joseph. And though it's really old school and rare, I really really like the name Isaac. It sounds so masculine and unique, and it also means "laughs" or "he who laughs" in Hebrew. Then I like Jacob. As for girls, I like Rachel and Sarah, which to me sound pure, simple and feminine.

I know I know--I'm not terribly original. If anything, I'm being reactionary. And with all the names and different meanings out there, I have no excuse. Still, a gal can't help liking what she likes.

No comments:

 
Site Meter