Thursday, May 25, 2006

Inside my head

I know he's there, smirking. "Would you mind leaving?" I say.

"No, I don't mind," he says. He doesn't budge.

"So would you?"

"Hm let me think about it, no."

"Please."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because."

I am getting annoyed. "Because?"

"Because I'm here."

"Look," I say, "I can't get any work done unless you leave. And I have a load of work to do."

"Not my problem."

"Actually it is your problem because you're beginning to annoy me."

"You're not annoyed. You like me."

"Whatever."

"That's not a denial."

"Whatever!"

"I win."

"Okay you win. Now get out." He shrugs at me.

I start re-reading the computer screen for the fifteenth time.

"I'm still here," he says.

"No you're not. You're gone," I say.

"If I'm gone, then why am I still here?"

"Because you're annoying."

I concentrate on the screen. I scroll my mouse. I highlight text with my cursor.

"Sixteenth time and counting?" he lilts.

"Shut up."

"I can't help that you think I'm irresistable. I'm actually pretty flattered."

"Shut up."

"How long before you get sick of thinking of me?"

"Shut up."

"You know if the real me had any idea how much you thought of me, I think I'd be a bit freaked out."

"Shut up."

"Fine fine. I'll leave for now."

"Thank you."

"You'll get your 3 minutes of work done, and then I'll be back."

I look at him and sigh. "I know."

No comments:

 
Site Meter