Saturday, May 06, 2006

Epiphany

When a friend tells you, "I'm going to set you up with someone who is right for you," the presumption is that the someone is comparable in intelligence, personality, and attractiveness. When you meet this someone and see that he is less than attractive, a few theories come to mind:

1) Your friend thinks you're unattractive and so sets you up with a similarly unattractive person.
2) You overestimated your attractiveness and are in fact unattractive. Your friend then sets you up with a similarly unattractive person.
3) Your friend thinks the unattractive person is in fact attractive, so in your friend's mind, the friend has set you up with a similarly attractive person.
4) Your friend knows that the person is less than attractive, but that person's personality, sophistication, and success will more than compensate for his appearance.

I will be the first to admit that to be in relationship with someone, I have to be able to at least entertain the mere possibility of being able to get it on with the guy. If the prospect of being physical with someone sickens me because he resembles an orc from "Lord of the Rings," then chances are we will not succeed as a couple.

Hmm. Maybe I've resembled an orc this whole time and never knew it. In which case, I'd have to thank my friend for leading me to this epiphany.

1 comment:

fringes said...

I stumbled upon your blog while blog surfing. It's well-written with the right touch of humor. Keep posting!

 
Site Meter