Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Still yellow

I know that some white Americans, when they first see me, think "immigrant." That is, until they hear me speak or see the way I carry myself. It is perhaps ironic that when my immigrant relatives or peers see me, they think "white American," precisely because of the way I speak or carry myself. I remember my older cousin express shock when she saw I knew how to use chopsticks. Some immigrant peers were surprised when I mentioned I enjoyed food of my ethnicity. And I constantly amaze my immigrant relatives and peers with my ability to handle foods that have more than one speck of red pepper in it, that I in fact love spicy food and probably can't go a day without having something spicy to eat.

I know I'm "white" but dang, I'm still yellow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meh, I'm white as snow and most people are shocked when I pick up chopsticks and use them. When I lived in Korea I was habitually handed a fork.
Sometimes I just feel like saying "Hell, us rednecks don't need no stinkin' utensils! We just eat with our hands like our forefathers... the cavemen!"
Stereotypes are frustrating and annoying. Yee haw.

 
Site Meter