Wednesday, March 22, 2006

One or The Other

The guys I've dated seem to fall into one of two categories, never both. Why does it always have to be one or the other?

One:
Intelligent, articulate, witty, ambitious, sophisicated, and clever. Likes art, music, culture, intellectual conversations, & independent films.

The Other:
Fun, uninhibited, spontaneous, free-spirited, and passionate. Likes going out to bars, whether trendy or divey, dancing to hip hop or salsa, singing karaoke, and trying new things.

Can't I have an impulsive intellectual? A guy who likes Rachmaninov and 50 Cent? Someone who'll do a double shot of tequila with me and then discuss existentialism?

After trying to talk to the Guy about religion and existence, I realized he hadn't "thought much about it." It reminded me of a time when I tried to discuss the death penalty with another guy who pretty much responded "I don't know. I don't really think about that stuff." Of course, the guys who can have those conversations don't really like to go out and have a little crazy fun. And when I force them to go dancing with me, they move uncomfortably and awkwardly to the music, clearly humoring me, clearly not having fun.

Both of my two long-term ex-boyfriends were in the One category, not The Other. The Guy seems to fall into The Other category. Maybe I want too much in a man. But I still hope there's someone out there who'll be both. Until then, I'll have to settle for one or the other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're looking for a well-balanced renaissance man, and probably someone who's an extrovert (or at at least an ambivert). I'm sure that you'll find him.

I'm curious about the impulsive intellectual you describe, though. Maybe that impulsiveness manifests itself in ways that you might not think of as such.

 
Site Meter