Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Not a One

This past Friday while celebrating St. Patty's day in an Irish bar, I struck up a conversation with an Irish gentleman. (Well, I didn't think he was much of a gentleman after our conversation.) Somehow, we got onto the topic of dating Asian women. I, being a bit buzzed, asked him quite bluntly, "So are there any differences between dating Asian women and white women?" I knew I was asking for it, but I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment.

In return, he was very blunt. The following is a very explicit list of differences he observed after dating a number of Asian women. Please note that parental discretion is advised, children should please leave the room, you must be 18 or older to read this, etc. etc. And I'm not listing these because I'm a perv (really I'm not); I'm doing so because I find Asian stereotypes ever so amusing even if they are sick and twisted:

o Asian women have softer skin.
o Asian women try harder to please their men in bed.
o Asian women are better at pleasing their men in bed.
o Asian women are um less hairy.
o Asian women are "tighter."

I sat there and just listened. I did not argue nor did I attempt to convert him to Not-All-Asian-Women-Are-the-Same-ism. I simply nodded and then declined his offers to hang out after bar time.

It's interesting that although I have heard these stereotypes before (the internet, other Asian chicks, my Asian American studies class), I've never had a guy so bluntly articulate them to me. Sure I've met Asian fetishists, but they usually say "I love Asian women" or "Asian women are so hot," not "I like their __ and how their __ can __." In his defense though, he was answering the question I asked.

Hmm. For some reason, I don't think this gentleman is one of the Ones.

No comments:

 
Site Meter