Friday, April 07, 2006

Slow song syndrome

Feeling semi-dejected (and semi-rejected), I listened to some semi-sad slow songs last night. I told the Naysayer this and he immediately said, "What's with girls getting depressed and playing slow songs?!" The songs included "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac, "With or Without You" by U2, "Alone" by Heart, "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen, "My Favorite Mistake" by Sheryl Crow, you get the idea. As I listed the songs for him, even I started laughing at how ridiculously cliche it all was. I neglected to mention that I had lit a couple candles and was sipping on red wine at the time.

He told me that he has noticed the prevalence of girls playing slow depressing songs when they're bummed out. It didn't make sense to him as to why a girl would subject herself to an even more depressed mood by playing a depressing song. Are girls masochistic?

I thought about it and really couldn't articulate a reason. I guess there's sort of a bittersweet feeling when you're bummed and you're listening to a sad song. It's a welcomed ache. Maybe girls like to share their feelings and it feels good knowing that she isn't the only one feeling the way she does, that knowing someone else--i.e. the singer--feels and understands exactly what she's going through?

He didn't get it. But apparently it's a thing that girls do.

No comments:

 
Site Meter