Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Not a metaphor

I get a little weird when it comes to my apartment. I never let anyone in. Boys, girls, friends, boyfriends, no matter the city, no matter the apartment. I suppose it's because I'm not the neatest person, and I don't invest in nice furniture because I always know I'm going to move. So to avoid judgment and ridicule, I never invite anyone to my apartment unless I'm very very comfortable with them.

The Guy and I had been dating for several weeks and I had yet to invite him up to my place. By no means was this out of coyness or propriety, as I've been over his place a number of times. I was simply self-conscious of my modest abode. So it became a running joke with the Guy as to what I was hiding in my apartment, how many dead bodies were in my closet, etc. Yesterday, after settling our plans for our date, the Guy said "And afterwards, we're stopping by your place." Instead of arguing, I tacitly acquiesced. I suppose I was ready.

After our date that night, we started walking over to my place. I began warning him how old my building was, how small my place was, how I had no real furniture, how I cooked earlier so it might smell, and so on. He seemed to take it in stride. We walked into my building, into the hallway, up to my apartment door. As we stood outside my door, I inserted the key into my lock but then hesitated.

"Can't you just wait out here?" I asked nonsensically.

"What?" he said.

"Nevermind."

With that, I unlocked the lock, opened the door and let the Guy into my apartment.

He entered and looked around. I watched him nervously and said "This is it."

He turned to me. "What the heck were you worried about?"

"Well it's small and barely furnished and--"

"It's fine," he said.

"Really?"

"Seriously, I have no idea what you're so embarrassed about. You have everything you need right here."

"Oh," I said. I stood there searching his face for signs of him thinking otherwise. There were none.

"It's fine," he repeated. "It's fine just as it is."

No comments:

 
Site Meter