Thursday, July 06, 2006

A good thing

I'm not supposed to talk to you or see you anymore.

So I'm not.

I still check my email and cell phone every minute or so, hoping that maybe you'll breach our agreement and email or call me.

But you don't.

When I checked for the thousanth time today, I saw a new message. My heart skipped a beat. I clicked on the message.

It was Someone Else.

Someone Else asked me how I was doing. Someone Else asked how my weekend was. Someone Else asked me to dinner. I wondered why it was Someone Else. I wondered why it wasn't you.

This afternoon Jamba Juice was giving away free smoothies in my building. I thought of you and thought how perfect it could have been if I just called you and asked you if you wanted a smoothie. We could have met on our street corner, sat outside in the sunny eighty-degree weather, and chatted about nothing. You'd make me laugh like you always did. And I'd make you smile.

But we didn't.

And that, as we agreed, is a good thing. I hope.

No comments:

 
Site Meter