Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Adventures in researching

I went to the library this afternoon. It was cool and damp and quiet, the way a library should be. A woman in a suit walked by my table where I had my laptop and a few reference books sprawled about. The woman sat down at her table, several tables in front of me, and began reviewing one of the various binders and books that were piled on her table.

I was typing away when I heard this hissing sound. I figured it was a pipe or something. The hissing became louder, like an angry whispering, and suddenly morphed into this screeching voice. I looked up and saw it was the woman in front of me. She was alone at her table, her back toward me, and shaking violently. She held her hands were in the air, as if begging some imaginary monster to please leave her alone. Maybe she's practicing her opening statement, I thought. Then she began whimpering and shaking her head, shielding herself with her bony hands. Suddenly her voice changed into this guttural voice and I could hear her cursing and whispering and shrieking insults and obscenities like "Idiot!" and "Fucking asshole!"

Needless to say, I was scared shitless.

I tried to concentrate on my reading, but my heart was thumping so loudly in my ears, I couldn't hear myself think. Maybe she had Tourette Syndrome. Tourette Syndrome was better than just plain crazy. Maybe she was possessed. Or maybe she had multiple personalities -- that would explain the different voices. At any rate, I had to wrap up my research to go back to the office, and slowly reshelved my books so as to not disturb the Scary Woman. I was actually afraid she was going to attack me, teeth baring, fingernails outstretched.

But she didn't.

I seriously think I'm traumatized.

No comments:

 
Site Meter