Saturday, February 25, 2006

What's the question?

The age old question most every Asian in a non-Asian country faces is "What are you?" It sounds like such a philosophical question, a question that invites self-examination and introspection. But I know better. Instead of responding with "I'm an introvert with slightly reckless tendencies" or "human," I simply rephrase the question for them in a more satisfactory form (which is perhaps just as obnoxious).

When I was younger, I used to rephrase "What are you?" as "What is your nationality?" But I realized, nationality is more akin to citizenship than ethnicity. So then I thought the question ought to be "What is your ethnicity?" But the question assumes the listener has only one ethnicity when she may be multi-ethnic. So now my painfully crafted question is, "May I ask you what your ethnic background is?" Hence, when someone asks me, "What are you?" I respond, "Do you mean to ask what my ethnic background is?"

A variant of the "What are you?" question is "Where are you from?" With this, I take a slightly different approach. For example, when someone asks me this question, I say "Philly." Then they inevitably ask "No, I mean, where are your parents from?" Then I say "Philly." Then I usually add, "Do you mean to ask what my ethnic background is?"

And sometimes people just guess, and since 1 out of every 4 humans on this planet is Chinese, they usually guess Chinese and are wrong. Then I say, "Do you mean to ask what my ethnic background is?"

Hey, if people are going to be ignorant, might as well have a little fun with it.

1 comment:

panda said...

i took the test on http://alllooksame.com/
and realized that "what is your ethnic background?" isn't enough sometimes. i know as many asians as non-asians and the faces i got wrong are because my friend from northern china is the twin of a woman they claim is korean, my korean friend looks exactly like the one japanese woman, my chinese friend's dad looks just like the one older japanese man, etc, etc, etc.

"am i already learning a language you speak?" and "do i know how to cook your favourite food?" would get me farther than "what is your ethnic background?".

i guess we all want the easy answer.

 
Site Meter