Friday, February 17, 2006

Ahhh!

Okay Cat got me on this Amazon.com-Asian-craziness-trip. I was reading the comments on the book How to Attract Asian Women when I saw this gentleman analogize his Asian fetishism to homosexuality -- as in, something one is born with and not something to be condemned. Words, words fail me now. His quote is as follows:

I am waiting for the day when white guys who are exclusively attracted to Asian girls like myself are given the understanding that homosexuals are given today among the enlightened and urbane. Like homosexuals, this is not a choice for me. I have had these feelings since puberty. I couldn't change them if I tried. For the record, I do see you as individuals, and not as stereotypes, not as submissive or whatever. I do not intend to objectify you, any more than anyone else does when they apply their various preferences to different individuals. Is a man objectified when he is rejected for not being this or that? Are you stereotyping me when you group me with all these negative qualities? Can you see me for myself? I want to see you and know you and understand you. I'm sorry that history depresses you. I'm not responsible for colonialism or the opium wars.

For Asian-American men who feel resentful of this cultural phenomenon, I truly apologize. You have my sympathy. I really wish more white women would date Asian men so that we could all collectively relax about this topic and just enjoy our relationships.

For all Asian-Americans, if you are really angry about cultural stereotypes and want to combat them, consider the fact that you may be a bit off-target in blaming whites exclusively. Asian-American women are not submissive sluts. Asian-American men are not cartoonish eunuchs, effiminate brutes, etc. However, after living in Asia for ten years (you can guess why) I can tell you that many of your ancestors do manifest these qualities. Whites have just been riffing off of what they found when our two cultures first met. Many are completely unaware that there is a taboo regarding these kinds of things in Western culture, and if they do know, they don't care. So why not make some effort to convince born and bred Asians to modernize, start showing some respect for women, encourage democracy (the antidote to "Draconian" autocratic systems which support the image of the Asian man as a little brute with penis envy), and fearlessly assert themselves? Otherwise you're just spinning your wheels and attacking symptoms instead of illnesses. The world gets smaller everyday, and these problems need to be addressed. As slong as the problems persist over there, they will here too. [sic]

Dude gets an A for effort. He manages to dress up his racial preference in liberal terminology.

No comments:

 
Site Meter