Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Great unexpectations

They say things happen when you least expect it. Falling in love. Winning the lottery. Finding a ten dollar bill in your coat pocket.

For me, it was having a really really really good date. This was last night.

No, it wasn't Consultant. And it definitely wasn't Non Emailer. It was another guy I happened to meet at the friend of a friend's friend's get together. Clearly, I had no big expectations regarding this guy, so little in fact that I neglected to even mention him in my blog. At the get together, he asked for number and later on called me to ask me to dinner. I needed something to take the edge off of my self-induced obsession over Non Emailer, so I said sure. And I ended up having one of the best dates in a really long time.

A few key traits:

1) He had initiative.
He called me only a couple days after I gave him my number. He asked me to dinner. None of this "Can I get your email and I may or may not email you" bull ish.

2) He was a gentleman.
He opened the door for me when we went to the restaurant. When we walked to his car, he would walk ahead so he could open my door for me, wait until I got in, and close the door for me. He always asked for my opinion before ordering an appetizer or dessert. I know this seems like common sense, but sadly, it isn't.

3) He was a good conversationalist.
He did not recite his resume to me or dominate the conversation about how this one time he and his buddies toilet-papered this dude's house. It was an engaging conversation. He asked me questions about myself and actually listened and followed up with more questions. And we talked about silly things (e.g., how our alcoholic beverage of choice depends on whether or not we want to remember things the next day) and more interesting things (e.g., traveling in Latin America). There were very little, if any, awkward pauses.

4) He was, and made me feel, comfortable.
I really felt like I could be myself. I didn't need to get buzzed to feel comfortable. I didn't worry over whether he was a playa. I didn't get any sketchy vibe from him. Most importantly, I didn't feel like I had to be "on." I could just be, and he could just be, and it felt great.

5) He made me laugh.
'Nuff said.

During the date, he had asked me if I wanted to go to this thing with him on Saturday, but I already had plans with some girls. Otherwise, I would have been totally down with it. The thing is, if this had been any other guy, the notion of seeing a guy twice in one week after just meeting him would suffocate me or creep me out. But with this guy, I was thinking, sure, why not? It'd be fun. And I know it would be.

So yes, needless to say, I was (and still am) incredibly shocked at how well the date went. It ended pleasantly. We gave our little "I had a great time"-spiels, and I (perhaps out of nervousness) just nodded, said goodbye, and just hopped out of the car. Is it bad if there's no hug or kiss? It's only the first date!

So we'll see what happens. It's only been 1 whole day since I've seen him, and I'm wondering if/when he's going to call me. I mean, chemistry can't be one-sided, can it? I don't think he'd suggest meeting up again unless he was mildly interested in me.

It's quite interesting that having a good time with a normal, nice guy is so rare and most of all, unexpected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do the guys usually kiss on the girl on the first date? How does it work? I'm an inexperienced dater. If you care to share any stories, tips, I'd be very grateful and you'd be helping me out. Don't worry, I live in a different city. HAha

Yellow Lawyer

Yellow Gal said...

God, I've been dating for years and I still don't know the rule on that one. I will say that in both of my long-term relationships, there was no kiss on the first date. So take that for what it's worth.

Then again, I know a girl who had a one-night stand with guy, dated him, and is now happily married to him with a daughter.

Go figure.

 
Site Meter