Monday, March 12, 2007

Coffee between friends

"Guess what Tom did for me today?" Aly gushed.

"I don't know, what?" Beth said as she sipped her coffee.

"He sent roses to my office every hour, each hour with a different colored set of roses!" she squealed. "And for no reason except to say that he loves me!"

"Wow, that's great," Beth replied, trying to smile. "That's almost as sweet as a guy showing up an hour late on a first date and calling you the wrong name."

"Oh forget about Mark! Sorry you had such a crappy date."

"It's okay."

"Don't worry," Aly replied. "You'll find someone," she added with a knowing nod.

For a moment, Beth remained silent. "Umm," she said slowly, "Yeah, I know I'll find someone, but thanks."

"I didn't mean it like that," Aly replied. "I mean, you're smart, funny and cute. You're a catch! You deserve so much better than that Mark. One day you'll find someone as great as my Tom!"

Great as my Tom? Beth glared at Aly. "I really appreciate your condescending pep talk, really I do," Beth replied, "but spare me your pity. You're actually making me feel worse."

Aly sighed and looked at Beth in the eye.

Beth looked back at Aly. "What?"

Aly shook her head and said, "I can't win with you, can I?"

"You always win," Beth replied, her voice grating. "That's your shtick."

"Look, just because I'm in a relationship and you're not doesn't mean you can be bitchy to me," Aly said, blinking thoughtfully.

"Wow, you're funny."

"Face it," Aly sighed. "You're jealous."

"Like I said, you're funny," Beth replied deadpan. "Truly."

"I'm not going to feel bad because I have a boyfriend and you don't. And I don't need to apologize for being happy."

"Excuse me," Beth said, "I don't believe I asked for an apology for you being happy."

"You didn't need to. Your bitterness says enough," Aly said, raising her chin and narrowing her eyes.

Beth couldn't help but laugh. "You're so sad."

"Excuse me?"

"You sit there, so smug. All because of Tom." Beth stood up and threw a ten dollar bill on the table. "Your self-worth and superiority all hinge on Tom."

Aly continued to stare at Beth.

Beth continued, "I'd hate to see what happens if that ended. What will you have then? Certainly no friends, given the way you're acting."

Aly rolled her eyes.

"While I appreciate the gesture, you can't pity me," Beth declared. She swung her purse over her shoulder and smiled. "I hope you and Tom have a happy life together. The alternative would be--" Beth searched for the right word "--pitiable."

No comments:

 
Site Meter