Friday, December 23, 2005

A less than great friend

My girlfriend for the first time in a long time, met a cute, intelligent guy, went on a few dates with him, and finally kissed him just last night. I am extremely happy for her that she is finally getting what she has always deserved.

A truly great friend would be 100% happy for her. I am however only 99%. In the last x months, I have had a total of 2 dates, the last one ending with the guy calling me the wrong name. As I was on the phone with her, gleefully recounting every detail of her wonderful date, I couldn't help but feel somewhat bummed & envious (which is the 1%). I realize that this fact makes me a less than truly great friend, and in fact, a selfish, self-centered friend. But I suppose it's better to come to grips with this fact than pretend otherwise.

2 comments:

JM said...

Don't we all sort of feel a little less entusiastic when one of our friends finds the love of their lives?

JJ said...

I remember thinking similar thoughts about myself when everyone around me was getting married and I seemed to have no prospects. Love is wonderful when you have it... and strange when you don't...

 
Site Meter