Thursday, December 15, 2005

Jennifer

Jennifer was not a remarkably pretty girl, but I remember the first time I saw her in third grade. She wore glittery stars in her hair. I later learned she had moved just a block from my house.

Throughout middle school and high school, we were friendly acquaintances at best. We were invited to each other's parties, but only because we had so many mutual friends. For as long as I can remember, I always liked to write, whether it be stories or essays. In school, I received good grades on my writing, as I suppose I did consistently good work. But Jennifer--she was consistently brilliant.

We were in the same English honors class senior year, and occasionally the teacher would ask the well-written pieces to be read in front of class. I had the opportunity to do so once or twice, but I remember Jennifer reading one of her essays. It was so artfully worded, so perfectly written, that after she finished reading, the class literally sat there for a few seconds in silent awe.

As an adult, I remember reading something Jennifer had written as a sixth grader. It was only three paragraphs long, but it was something I couldn't even write right now. She was brilliant, even then as a 12-year-old child.

Coincidentally we attended the same college, and again remained casual acquaintances at best (meaning that our relationship consisted of saying "hi" if we saw each other in the hall). Oddly enough, I never really felt jealous of Jennifer, nor did I ever feel there was any competition. There was no contest--she was clearly a genius. I suppose it was more like a quiet, admiring acceptance. Other than passing by her in the hallway, I encountered her in campus newspapers. Jennifer entered numerous writing contests ... and won every one. She received national awards from the likes of John Irving. It didn't surprise me in the least.

And so that was several years ago. A mutual friend updated me on Jennifer. She's working a normal 9 to 5 job and self-described herself as a "struggling writer." I can't believe she hasn't published at least three books by now, or hasn't guest starred on Oprah yet, or isn't teaching writing at a prestigious university. I know it's just a matter of time before she's "discovered." And when the world applauds her genius, I'll be there saying "Told you so."

1 comment:

JM said...

Ahh the struggling artist. I have one friend I consider a struggling artist. He talks constantly about stories he wants to write or ideas about stories. Does this Jennifer blog?

 
Site Meter