Saturday, December 09, 2006

Will the fun ever end?

The only thing more fun than realizing that one is being unceremoniously blown off by a very very cute guy is going to a bar with your girlfriend, lookng down the bar, and spotting the very very cute guy who spots you simultaneously--with a very very cute girl neatly tucked under his arm.

Really, it's a lot of fun.

In my case, the very very cute guy whispered something into the very very cute girl's ear and pointed me out, at which point she walked away from him, past me, giving me a less than friendly look. Then he walked up to me and uttered a few pleasantries, with, unsurprisingly, flirtatious overtones. He asked me what I was doing Sunday, I replied "nothing," and he said, "I'll call you." And smiled. Then he said "Oh my friends and I are meeting up later. So it was nice seeing you today." And smiled again. Then we parted ways.

Then for the next several hours, I watched with a mix of disbelief and grief, the very very cute guy and the very very cute girl all over each other. In front of me.

Did I mention this was a lot of fun?

So I, Yellow Gal, am proud to say that I have discovered, yes discovered, a mathematical equation:

Romantic devastation + Self-deprecation + 5 martinis = Crying in a bathroom stall on girlfriend's shoulder

People say that things happen for a reason. And maybe Something or Someone made me and my friend choose -- out of all the bars in the Big Big City -- the one bar the very very cute guy was at, and made us decide -- out of all the rooms and corridors in the bar -- the one area the very very cute guy was in with his very very cute girl who, by the way, was also a Yellow attorney. (Can a guy have a fetish for Yellow attorneys?)

Needless to say, last night was not the best way to start off my birthday weekend. I wish I could just insert some witty remark here and laugh it all off as just another one of Yellow Gal's dating debacles. Yet after a while, making jokes about one's disappointments just doesn't quite get rid of the sting of the disappointment itself. It's not "fun," as I like to quip. Not fun at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sorry to read about the bar situation. i guess even nyc can be small in a way.

happy birthday.

signed, a yellow attorney

Whatchamacalit said...

Happy Birthday Yellow Gal. And know that it will only get better now because that does sound pretty rock bottom awful. Sadly I've been there too - the whole romantic devastation + self deprecation + drinking + weeping - a lot of us have. You're not alone! The cute cute guy, he just sucks.

Yellow Gal said...

It's better to know now than later, right? I'm going to try my best to not let one guy taint an otherwise fun night with my friends. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

Anonymous said...

You're obviously a kind person. You didn't trip him up, talk to the girl he was with, or otherwise try to sabbotage his date. There are other cute guys out there, I'm sure, who will appreciate your kindness and your mathematical skill. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your birthday weekend!

 
Site Meter