Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Defending the fat

It is insidious. It is subtle. But it is unmistakable. Every time Yellow Gal sees a Certain Friend, the Certain Friend invariably remarks on Yellow Gal's weight. It is never as blatant as "You are a fat tub of lard." Yet it is very cleverly hidden in suggestive adjectives, well-crafted sentences, and amused expressions. Certain Friend is perhaps 80-90 pounds, a probable size 0, while Yellow Gal is an obese size 4.

For example, if Yellow Gal stops wearing a certain top, Certain Friend will inquire, "Oh did it get too small for you?" Or if Yellow Gal is wearing the same sweater as a six-foot, 200 pound guy, Certain Friend will ask, "Are you guys wearing the same size?"

Yellow Gal is seeing Certain Friend this weekend. She is almost certain that Certain Friend will make a weight-related comment. Yellow Gal plans on responding to Certain Friend's fat-comment, "It's so interesting how every time I see you, you make some comment about my weight." Then if she's especially irritated, Yellow Gal will add, "I understand that because I am over 100 pounds, I am a tub of lard. Your continual comments to me have clearly conveyed that belief. There is therefore no need to remind me every single time you see me. I get it. Thanks so much for bringing the matter to my attention." Insert the necessary chuckle to alleviate any tension the remarks may induce.

Sound like a plan.

No comments:

 
Site Meter