Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I had him at hi

Okay okay. So I followed one of Whatchamacalit's pieces of advice and decided, what the hey, I'll contact Friends Zone guy and casually ask him to "just hang out." Nothing more, nothing less. If he "rejects" me, it'll be like that between friends, so no pressure, right?

Right?

Well it took me about five hours to type "Hi" in an email. It started with an "H." Then I would delete the "H." Then I'd type it again. Then I wrote "i." Okay I'm exaggerating, but you get my point. I had no idea why it was so hard for me to just contact him. I guess, first, I never ask guys out. And second, I really liked him. But we're "just friends" so asking a friend to hang out is so not a big deal.

So I wrote my casual email. It said: "Hi. Do you like live jazz?" This email was supposed to segue into a string of emails where I would eventually ask him to go hear a local jazz band playing Saturday evening. Saturday was my only free evening for the next couple of weeks, and I had hoped I'd be spending it with him. Soon after I hit "send," I saw a response in my inbox.

His response: "No."

Nothing more, nothing less. My heart sank, and I felt very very very stupid. Instead of stopping the bleeding, I replied: "Oh? Why not?"

And I waited. And waited. Nothing appeared in my inbox. Oh my god he's dissing me. He's never going to respond. I'm such an idiot! Why did I email him? This is what I get for breaking The Rules. That f-ing Friends Zone. I suck. Oh well, lesson learned, next!!

Then he replied: "I'm just not a huge live jazz fan. I'm more into the indie stuff. Here's a link to an example of a band I like."

I clicked on the link and listened to some samples. Good stuff. I replied and said as much.

His response: "They're in town this Saturday. Wanna check it out?"

At this point, I literally squealed at my computer. "Sure," I replied. "When and where?"

We ironed out the details; and now he's picking me up Saturday night. Ack! I'm both excited and scared and happy and nervous.

So yeah, I was all freaked out about asking him out, and he ended up asking me out. On Saturday night.

We'll see what happens!

2 comments:

Whatchamacalit said...

I hope the advice turned out well and that you had an awesome date this weekend!

Yellow Gal said...

Thanks, Whatchamacalit, for your support!

 
Site Meter