Sunday, June 17, 2007

Seriously

To maintain my streak of cheerful blog entries that so far have ranged from biting self-deprecation to pessimism, I must ask the question: is it me, or is it tacky of MSN Hotmail to have on its splash page (or whatever you call the page that appears when you first log in) a link to an article, "Men's deadliest health threats," on Father's Day of all days? Now I realize I may be somewhat sensitive to this because my father and both my grandfathers have all passed away. But still. Today is Father's Day, we're supposed to be celebrating our relationships with our dads, grandpas, uncles, etc.--not discussing the various ways they can kick the can. I'm all about maintaining health, but really, it's a bit tacky to say the equivalent of, "Happy Father's Day! Now here are the ways your dad can croak."

Then again, the titles above the how-your-dad-can-croak article are: "How to dress like Madonna" and "Celeb kids & famous dads." So if I want to be dumb and overanalytical about it, I could interpret MSN Hotmail as first giving suggestions to Dad on how to be a drag queen, then letting Dad know how he falls short of male brats and their bratty offspring, and then enlightening him on the most likely ways he'll kick the can.

Okay, so maybe the MSN Hotmail webpage developers did not sit in a circle and deliberate on how they could be tacky on Father's Day. They probably instant messaged. Just kidding, but seriously though, I think I have a point here. There's room for improvement in the Tact Department. Posting the above article on Father's Day is akin to displaying an article on Valentine's Day, "The conclusive link between marriage and suicidal depression." Seriously.

No comments:

 
Site Meter