Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Good times

Think of the starving people.

In Africa.

In Asia.

In America.

There are lots of starving people. There is a lot of suffering in this world. Yet for some reason, this mantra that I am told to repeat to myself to make myself a more grateful, happier person ... doesn't quite work.

I've been in a funk for a long time. And I can't quite pinpoint why. I have a respectable job. A nice condo. A great boyfriend. And great friends. So I should be happy. I should be happy.

But I feel incredibly unmotivated. And it's not something that goes away or dissipates. I mean, sure, when I buy a new dress or see a funny movie, I'm temporarily perked up. But in the end, I end up feeling so blase. This is beginning to affect specific aspects of my life. Such as work.

I thought maybe it was the job, and that was the source of my ennui, and so I should just change it. But a recent talk with my supervisor showed me otherwise.

My supervisor approached me about a recent project I did for him, and his vast disappointment in its quality. "I know you're not retarded. I know you're bright. So why are you giving me work that looks like it's been drafted by a retard?"

I didn't have an answer.

He continued, "I get the feeling that you just don't care about the cases. You aren't vested in the things we do here. And I thought when we hired you, you wanted to do the cases we do. But when I see your work product, it seems like you have no interest, no concern for the case, and thus you don't put in the effort. What the f?"

What the f indeed. Amidst his litany of complaints about my work and my attitude and my undeserved salary, there was a grain of truth: I didn't really care. And that's why I didn't do my best. And that's why the work product was less than what I could have done. I know I am capable of more. But I just don't feel like exerting the effort towards something I don't care about.

It's like this: There is a tree. And the highest apple on this tree is the sweetest, juiciest, largest apple. But the closer apple, while not as sweet, juicy or large, is edible and fine. At this juncture in my life, I'm content with the edible, fine apple. I know I can get the highest apple on the tree. But why bother when I'm okay with the closer apple?

I confess this is not the best work ethic, certainly not the work ethic of my parents.

There is a certain guilt in my complacency, other than any guilt resulting from the starving people on this planet. As I've said before, I know that my immigrant parents suffered a lot to survive in this country. They did it all so my brother and I could have all the opportunities this country affords. I went to college, I went to law school and I have a solid job. There is that voice inside of me that tells me I am squandering their efforts and all of this opportunity they created for me, because of my complacency.

I know I can be more than what I am. But there is no driving force in my life that propels me towards that.

I am not, and never will be, one of those A-type gunners. The ones who have to be #1. The ones who sit at the front of every class and raise their hand for every question and read ahead so they can be the best. The BEST.

The idea of being a gunner is repellent to me.

What other motivators are there? Power? No interest. Money? I already know that's not the answer to happiness. So what is it?

Right now, it feels like the answer is "nothing." Absolutely nothing. That's why getting out of bed every morning feels like pulling off a band aid every time. That's why I occasionally do subpar work. I feel constantly disconnected from everything in my life, and it's filled with temporary pleasures like hanging with the boyf or friends. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking down the street and it's not me that's walking, but someone else.

I just want something, someone, to pinpoint what the f is going on. I want a purpose, a goal, SOMETHING, that will awaken me from this funk-adelic slumber from my life, so I don't waste all my formative years feeling so blase and so useless.

This all sounds pretty depressing. But I'm not depressed (at least I don't think so). I think I'm just feeling ... disconnected. From life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tell you, I'm bored at work. I don't feel passionate about it.

At lesat you gots a boyfriend and can take pleasure in getting laid on a regular basis. Yes, I know not everything revolves around getting laid, but you gots to admit that isn't that the purpose of life?

Yellow Lawyer

Yellow Gal said...

Alas, YL, getting laid is not the ultimate key to happiness.

Though it would make things so much easier if it were, wouldn't it?

Anonymous said...

In all seriousness, I do feel exactly like you do. I'm really unmotivated at work -- so I just do things to do them. Sometimes I am jealous of those who have achieved higher positions or who have made tons of money. But other times I don't care. I have more than enough to live on.

Outside of work, I just want to do stuff with friends. Yes, I have a good time.

But somehow it seems to unfulfilling. I seem to be in a funk too.

If you have a revelation, let me know. I'll do the same. Surely, there must be a way out of this funk.

Yellow Lawyer

perdido said...

You are definitely not alone - as I keep getting the things I think I want and I'm not getting any happier I am also VERY confused.

Caleb said...

There is a hunger that resides in the heart of us that is never satisfied. Yes YG, we are starving but not for food.

Why do we believe that a respectable job, a nice home, and good relationships should make us happy? Why still the discontent? I'm not trying to be rhetorical, I'm really asking. Who decided that the above mentioned things should make us happy? What happens when you finally reach the sweetest apple only to discover that it is better than the others but not worth the effort to attain? After climbing the ladder of success and reaching the top, what if we find out our ladder was leaning against the wrong building?

Is it possible that the formula to personal happiness that we believe is really a lie? Does there come a point when we admit that the stuff we get, the things we achieve, and the people we love don't really "do it" for us? It seems almost perverse and certainly ungrateful to entertain such a thought but still I do. Do I surrender to what is so painfully and obviously true or do I continue to climb the ladder that as yet hasn't shown me anything except the next rung. When does coping end and living begin?

I'm wondering if we weren't made for something else entirely. Maybe the good things we get and strive for aren't really what we want. Maybe we recognize in them the qualities of what we're really looking for. We see in them pictures and shadows of what would make us happy and like a wisp of smoke it's gone. It's as though we can see it but we can't touch or hold it. It could be that YL is right and some kind of revelation or epiphany is needed to change us.

me said...

i don't know if it makes anyone feel better, but i'm not a lawyer. i'm a (yellow) fashion designer & i feel the same discontent you all seem to feel. i can't shake it either.

sorry, i don't have anything more encouraging or wise to offer other than my empathy.

 
Site Meter