Thursday, February 07, 2008

Kitt-schy

I have a calendar in my office. It functions perfectly as a calendar. It tells the onlooker the date, the day of the week, the month, and the year. It is normal in every respect except one: It has cats on it. Not just cats, but a lot of cats.

I love furry animals, both cats and dogs. And the boyf got me a silly cat calendar at my request. Little did I know that this particular cat calendar is INSANE.

A normal cat calendar would probably have one large photograph for every month with a cat lying in repose on a fence or in a basket or sniffing a daffodil. Not so in my case. My cat calendar has a thousand pictures for every month. Okay, in actuality, one photograph for every date of every month. Each date has a "zany" photograph with an even "zanier" caption. There are cats wearing boas, cats inside fish bowls, cats wearing scarves, cats wearing ear muffs, cats wearing football helmets, cats wearing other cats. I wish I were kidding. But I'm not. The captions are even worse.

Beneath a picture of a cat inside a hamster gym: "Don't be afraid, Jellybean. It's a hamster spa and I'm going to give you a massage."

Was that even a joke?

Beneath a photograph of a cat next to a Scrabble board: "Cheated at Scrabble with neighbor's pug."

I don't get it.

This calendar is so painfully bad and kitschy, it's funny. Except I always get the distinct feeling that when people walk into my office, they expect to find a 45-year-old woman with a peroxide-bleached-mullet, a pink and yellow sweater vest, and canvass shoes from Wal-Mart.

Then I think about the cats. Did any of these cats have any idea that they would be memorialized in a horribly tacky cat calendar? Did that one cat sitting next to the Scrabble board have an inkling that its decision to sit on a chair that happened to be next to a piece of cardboard would forever link it to a word game and an imaginary canine? I wonder where that cat is right now, and if it has any idea what its owner did to it, or if it will ever know.

At any rate, I feel like it's my duty to keep this calendar posted on my wall. A weaker person would put the calendar down and burn it. But I'll keep it posted and be forever tortured by earmuff-wearing cats.

10.6 months to go.

5 comments:

Yellow Lawyer said...

Yellow Gal's posts indicate that she is in a happier and more settled part of life. Yellow Lawyer is happy for her.

Yellow Lawyer wishes that he is in that state. But he is sad.

Anonymous said...

Oi, YG! What's with the silences? Surely you haven't run out of things to say...?!

Yellow Gal said...

Funny.

I had a humongo work project last week that effectively sucked my will to live. Am in recovery now. Will post more later!

Yellow Lawyer said...

so anonymous...was it you who posted comments on my blog? i thought it was yellow gal.

not sure if i'm going to post anymore. i feel sick and can't focus, due to my broken heart.

Anonymous said...

Ok, YG.

And, hey, YL: If you're referring to the comments signed 'anonymous,' yup, 'twas me, not YG. Sorry, I guess...?

Take care of your broken heart.

 
Site Meter