Thursday, August 09, 2007

Why is it always something

So, as what inevitably happens to all relationships I have had thus far, the one with the shy guy appears to be nearing its demise, as explained in my post below. I questioned myself as to whether I'm being too picky. Self-sabotaging -- in other words, look for tiny minor flaws to avoid a real relationship. But I don't think so. The shy guy's nerdiness is just too much for me.

The complicated thing about the shy guy is that, aside from his nonexistent sense of humor and nerdy behavior and other things that I won't mention in this blog but that are also significant, he's a good guy. Sweet, thoughtful, kind. Also cute and intelligent. I argued with myself, maybe I could deal with the things I had problems with. After all, I myself am flawed. Very flawed. So who am I to judge?

But, as I envisioned gouging out my brain with an ice pick after hearing another one of the shy guy's horrible jokes, I realized that being mentally revolted by someone is probably not the mark of a long-lasting relationship. And I've said time and time again, to my friends, on this blog, that sense of humor is so important to me. I'd take an average-looking joe who cracks me up over a witless Brad Pitt-clone any day. Any. Day.

So back to square 1. Again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The shy guy was probably intimidated by you a bit. Just a guess.

It's probably good to let this end, especially if, this soon into it, you're already trying to convince yourself it's better than you feel it is.

Anyway, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out better!

Yellow Gal said...

Intimidated? Interesting! A side-effect of intimidation is making bad jokes? He didn't seem nervous when he made the jokes. It seemed to come very naturally to him in fact.

Ah well. Thanks for the support. The search continues.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you. I didn't mean to say that he was intimidated because of anything you were doing. The term shy implies that he's timid in some way, and so I suspected it was natural. It could also be other things, i.e., how much more outgoing you are, and the pressure to live up to that, or how attractive you are. Anything.

And, yeah, some people make bad jokes when they're nervous. It can be funny when those people are friends.

 
Site Meter