Thursday, August 16, 2007

3 thoughts of the day

1. Philosophical thought of the day

I just began reading the book, "The Unbearable Lightness of Being," by Milan Kundera, a souvenir from a brief relationship with a guy several years ago. Actually, he lent it to me because it was his favorite book and I've since stowed it in my modest book collection and haven't returned it since. Oops.

One passage I liked:

Was it better to be with Tereza or to remain alone?

There is no means of testing which decision is better, because there is no basis for comparison. We live everything as it comes, without warning, like an actor going on cold. And what can life be worth if the first rehearsal for life is life itself.
My less than sophisticated reaction to this passage: "Totally!" All of us don't know what the f we're doing. Every time we do something or make a choice, we don't know for sure how it'll turn out until we do it. And when we do it and the consequences ensue, it's not like we can say "Okay that was an enlightening test run. Note to self: Do not marry a guy after knowing him for less than 2 days and hand over your bank account information. Let's relive that portion of my life!" I guess they're right when they say "Life is not a dress rehearsal."

2. Unsaintly thought of the day

I was watching tv while slurping on warm udon noodles. A Levitra commercial came on. A bunch of forty-to-sixty-something-year old men wearing flannel shirts or polos talked about their ED and how you should talk to your doctor about Levitra. Then at the end of the commercial, the voiceover did its usual "Symptoms include..." spiel. Then the voiceover said, "If your erection lasts more than four hours, call a doctor." I dropped my chopsticks and the wet noodles plopped into their stew.

If your erection lasts more than four hours, call me.

3. Dumbass thought of the day

Or rather, non-thought. I got into the elevator today and pressed "31." As the doors were closing, a tall man slipped in through the doors and pressed "33." He seemed to be mesmerized by his Blackberry. I took the opportunity to blatantly check him out as he scrolled through his Blackberry intently. He donned a dark pinstriped suit that smoothed neatly over his lean build, and had wavy brown hair and a sharp jawline.

I was still staring at him when the elevator doors opened and dinged. He looked up and said, "That's your floor."

"What?" I said, excited he was talking to me.

"Your floor. 31," he said, gesturing with his Blackberry towards the hallway.

"Oh, right, right," I said, gathering myself. "I was distracted by the news," I explained, tilting my head towards the little screen above the buttons, bearing today's weather and headlines. He looked back at his Blackberry. I exited the elevator.

"I am such a loser," I thought to myself as I ambled towards my office.
____________

And that's it for today. A book, a commercial and an elevator ride. Who knows what crazy adventures face Yellow Gal tomorrow! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

panda said...

pick up... yellow_gal_pick_up_!

 
Site Meter