Thursday, January 18, 2007

The test

I really want to be happy. Really I do. And that means I should adjust my attitude. Be less self-focused. Put myself in other people's shoes. And once I understand where other people are coming from, and try -- really try -- to be patient, I'll be less aggravated by the rampant stupidity of the general population and be happier.

So as I mentioned before, I don't like my friend's boyfriend. My challenge to myself is this: Try to like him. Get to know him. Who knows, maybe he'll win me over the way he won over my friend.

Now simply setting forth the goal of liking an unlikeable guy is one thing. Putting it into practice is another. I was tested when I had, a couple days ago, asked my friend to dinner for tapas. She said sure. Then later on, the Test materialized:

First, she called me up later asking if she could bring her boyfriend. I mentally grimaced, cringed and shuddered; but I said sure. Maybe, just maybe if I gave him another chance, he'd grow on me and undo the first ten negative impressions he made on me with undeniable charm and good-naturedness.

Then, she said that her boyfriend was actually looking to try Moroccan food.

Now, I love Moroccan food. But I've been craving tapas for the past few days. Hence, my invitation to dinner for tapas.

So this boyfriend who I am trying very hard to like has already (1) interloped in my gal pal time with my gal pal, while simulteaneously creating the very real possibility of third-wheel-dom, and (2) supplanted my suggestion of tapas with his suggestion of Moroccan food. Of course, my friend ends each suggestion with some generic useless statement of "only if you want to."

As I mentioned before, this is a test. An exercise. First, there is the question of how to tactfully say something to the effect of "I don't want to eat with your annoying-as-hell boyfriend and I want my tapas, damnit, not Moroccan food, not Cambodian food, not Somalian food, but frigging tapas damnit!" Second, there is the question of whether I'm purposely being difficult because I don't want to like the guy.

Okay I admit. I am being difficult. And really, there are worse things in the world than having a friend who wants you to get along with her irritating boyfriend and eat Moroccan food instead of tapas.

So this is my test. Have dinner with a guy I can't stand. Be a third un-squeaky wheel. And eat Moroccan food instead of tapas.

The pathway to happiness begins.

3 comments:

Whatchamacalit said...

I'd be annoyed too. Hope the dinner wasn't too painful.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't recommend using the test results here to measure your outlook on happiness.

You could try being honest with your friend, but that's risky, too.

Anonymous said...

that guy is annoying. show a lack of thoughtfulness. shows selfishness/self-centeredness on his part.

yellow lawyer

 
Site Meter