Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Asian eyes

I was re-reading Memoirs of a Geisha for an "assignment" and reflected upon the fact that Chiyo/Sayuri had gray-blue eyes. It sounded so odd, but then I realized that a number of Asians have been known to have similarly non-brown eyes. My Indian friend's grandmother had blue eyes (and no, she was not mixed with English blood). My first real boyfriend, a Korean guy, had hazel eyes. And even my mother has amber eyes, with an odd greenish-gray ring surrounding her iris. She told me that when she was growing up in her native country, the other children would tease her, poking fun at her unusual, large, light-colored eyes.

But me, I have the plain old brown eyes. Many times I've looked in the mirror to search for a hint of light brown or a fleck of gold, but nothing. Just a deep pool of dark brown.

1 comment:

Cat said...

The vietnamese girl upstairs has almost-green eyes. I'm pretty sure they're not contacts. Another asian girl I used to know had the most beautiful light brown eyes. Mine are just muddy cesspools themselves.

After reading your older posts I have to say that I was wrong - your posts are not (only laugh-out-loud) funny they're crisp and poignant. I went from laughing-out-loud to crying-out-loud in a matter of moments.

 
Site Meter