Friday, September 02, 2011

Forget me not

What would life be like if we had no memory? What if we had no memory of people or events? Instead, our entire existence would be the sum of our immediate sensory perception. I wonder if we would we be happier or sadder. Every scar and bruise would be a mystery, and every person would be a stranger. (Heaven for an extrovert, hell for an introvert.)

We would have no memories of pain. But we would also have no memories of joy.

It's strange. The more distant a memory is in my mind, the softer it becomes. Kind of like a photograph that was once crisp and clear, and later fades, curls and blurs with time. It almost seems like part of a dream, or part of a novel you once read years ago.

Other memories are visited more often, with the most salient and pleasurable elements specially preserved, if not magnified. That BBQ at the park with the old college friends. The grill smelled smokier, the boxed wine tasted sweeter, and the cool grass prickled your toes just a bit more in your memory than it might have in reality.

It's your memory, though. You can do what you want with it.

Right?

I think about the people who are no longer in my life. They loiter in the back of my mind and reappear at particular moments in time, like when I'm waiting in line or when I see an oddity that reminds me of them. They reenact scenes or conversations I had with them and then, when their performance ends, they bow and exit stage left.

Then I wonder. Am I a memory in someone else's mind? The raven-haired girl who wanders into someone's dream, recites a bitter or sweet line, and leaves the room? Does my appearance onstage conjure joy, sadness, rage, or pity? Or am I not even in the cast?

I wonder if it is better to be remembered or forgotten. When I reflect upon my life, I think I'd rather be forgotten by those in the past, and remembered by those in the present.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thought-provoking post. Memory is so important to us as individuals.

CJ xx

Anonymous said...

Wasn't sure if you knew but Thinking has re-instated her blog and hasn't even had the decency to remove the posts she copied.

I've decided to take a break from blogging for a while as I'm absolutely disgusted that this has happened and it's completely spoiled the aspect of blogging for me.

I've published a post today and put a link to her blog which should enable you to access it from her profile.

CJ xx

Anonymous said...

It seems she has now removed her profile and I wonder if that's because you reported her again. Hopefully, she won't reinstate it again and if she does, I'll just report it too.

Thanks again for your support.
CJ xx

Sharmeela said...

dont worry you two, i have reported her too since she is been nasty with me too.actually she is not SHE it is HE. so you know now actually what is going on?

do you know that i found few of your post on another blog which have so many day ago when you actually poublish them here, would you explain this to me?

please visit<http://brownreflection.blogspot.com/

Yellow Gal said...

Thanks, "Sharmeela." Sorry to hear you were plagiarized too. Which of your entries were plagiarized? I noticed you follow Thinking's blog. Is it to monitor her entries?

I checked out that other blog. Sure enough, someone else has copied my blog entries, and pretended they were written before my entries by forging the dates/times. Anyone with a basic mastery of HTML knows can easily type in fake dates/times.

Good news though: the Blogger Administrator can track the authentic date and time of every blog entry. So even if I were to type in "January 1, 1980," the Blogger Administrator could easily look at the programming, and ascertain the actual date of the entry was September 14, 2011.

Thank you, "Sharmeela," for pointing out this forgery to me. I will take the initiative and report the forged blog to Blogger.

 
Site Meter