Saturday, November 05, 2005

RANT

My mother “threatened” that she would do something if I didn’t go to church. It wasn’t murder or a beat-down or anything so crass. It was much more manipulative, like “I will never speak to you again” or something to that effect.

I always believed that an effective way of converting people to your ideology was to threaten them. Obviously, history and all religious texts reveal that threats are the best way to persuade the listener to believe and adopt your faith.

When I began reasoning with my mother, I asked her to pore over the Bible and cite to me instances of Jesus holding a knife to a disciple’s throat and saying “convert or die.” She did not listen to me. She simply said “I must get you to go to church at all costs.” I began citing Stalin, Hitler, Castro, the Chinese “Cultural Revolution,” etc. and her ever-so-persuasive response was “You MUST go to church! I don’t care.”

Strangely, this is the same kind of hell-bent reasoning used by fundamentalists, terrorists, and dictators. Does it work? Does it earn respect and love? I asked my mom this and she emitted a desperate “No” before reiterating that I “must” go to church.

So her offer was this: I must go to church 5 or 6 times and that’s it. Otherwise, she will carry out her threat.

I know a lot of people would say, “Who cares? Do it.” First, I despise and detest the fact that I am succumbing to someone else’s will against my own under a threat (i.e. “The terrorists win.”). Second, I feel very strongly about religion. I went to church for the first 20 years of my life -- I’d say that was “giving it a shot.” I studied Christianity in college. I wasn’t a simple churchgoer—I studied the Bible both religiously and academically. I do respect other people’s right to believe in whatever they want. I just know that for myself, I have investigated faith and religion and am consequently a staunch agnostic.

Now obviously, I understand how shitty it would feel to be in heaven and see your only daughter burning in hell. And, her obsession with my going to church is perhaps exacerbated by the fact that my dad began attending church six months before he died after dissing it for over sixty years. My mom believes that she “saved” my dad before he died and now she must save me before I die.

I get it. I really do.

But I don’t think God, Jesus, nor the Holy Spirit espoused the evangelistic method of threatening people to go to church.

A couple of my friends told me to just do it to appease my mom. She can die at peace knowing she tried converting me. Plus, it's the nice daughterly thing to do -- give in to manipulation and threats. So I grudgingly am going to attend church this Sunday. But I could try to make this interesting. Not sure if should try to convert everyone to agnosticism or start making people feel stupid because the only verse they know is John 3:16. Who knows? I may even have fun.

4 comments:

Cat said...

My family is more superstitious than religious. We're buddhist but have never been religious. I often wonder whether it would do me good to have a little faith, something to belong to, something to believe in?

Yellow Gal said...

Faith is a very personal choice, and so if someone wants to explore it, by all means, they should. It can do wonders for those who willingly adopt it.

Yellow Gal said...

totolehero, thanks for your encouraging words. I'm glad your faith is working out for you. I only hope my mom reaches the same insight you have.

panda said...

i'm trying so hard to bite my tongue...
jesus never said go to church
he never built a cathedral
he said "follow me, i am the way"

 
Site Meter